Friday, July 6, 2012 @ 12:55 AM | 0 Comments

"Fashion King tells the story of young aspiring designers in Dongdaemun Market as they dream of success, and the relationships, love, and challenges they face along the way.
Kang Young Gul has never had any goals or dreams for a bright future until he meets Lee Ga Young. Together they work towards their dreams." --taken from Dramawiki

L-R: Lee JeHoon, Shin SeKyung, Yoo Ah In, Kwon Yuri













I'm not going to go into detail about each of the characters because..well, if you want to watch it, then it's pretty self explanatory once you start watching.

The drama overall has a really good plot and story line, first depicting the lives of the not so wealthy citizens of Korea, as well as the not so lucky citizens as well. It then goes on, to show the fight between the two guys. I'm not going to reveal so much just incase some of you want to watch it-which I highly recommend, for reasons to be discussed later if you do watch it.

I think this drama is the very few dramas I've watched that has a solid meaning, or you could say "lesson" behind it. It shows how a poor man and woman can become rich and successful if they put in the hard work and persevere through everything. But it also shows how that can also lead to greed and selfishness, which could possibly lead to a downfall. It actually reminds me of a shakespeare type of story. The thing that got confusing somewhere down the middle is when I wasn't sure anymore who the protagonist or the antagonist was. It was quite..confusing. But maybe that was the whole point, I wouldn't know.

Of course, with all Kdramas, there's the element of "slow-ness" in it. The first few episodes went at an acceptable speed, but by the time the problems come flooding in, they start to go in dreamland and they start staring into space, with the drama's OST blaring in the background. There were quite a few of these moments. Fortunately, I was streaming online, therefore I could fast forward a lot of the parts. I think I may have skipped whole chunks of an episode because of the ridiculous amounts of dreamland scenes.

In my opinion, excluding the usual kdrama issues, it's a really good show. Although, it didn't make me cry like most dramas do, it did make me go through all that hatred and those different emotions the characters were going through. It was displayed quite effectively.

On to the characters acting. I don't know too much about the 2 guys, but they're pretty good, and I'm guessing they're veterans in the industry already. I don't know if any of you realised but Shin Se Kyung is SHINee's JongHyun's ex gf, and before, I didn't really think much of her, but just as JongHyun's ex, but after watching the drama, can I just say she's SO PRETTY! According to Rachel, she hasn't gotten any work done, so well done to her! haha..She's also damn amazing at crying on cue. It looks like most of the crying scenes were done in one go, so they didn't like cut up some scenes and stuck them together. I'm quite impressed.


 

On to our Yuri. I know she's been studying acting for quite some time now, and she's never been in a drama before, and seeing as this is her debut in the acting industry, she's really good. And I'm not saying that because I'm a fan of SNSD, but I'm truly saying it's a good debut. She well and truly exceeded my expectations. I think it's also because I'm comparing her debut to the other members like Jessica and Yoona, which to be honest, wasn't that great. Jessica was still somewhat satisfactory (a part of me thinks it's also the character she was given in Wild Romance was sort of..weird anyway) Yoona however, I don't know, the first time I saw her acting was ages ago in some drama I can't remember the name of, but she was..shit. sorry.
But I guess she's improved a whole lot after seeing a couple of episodes of Love Rain. She's..improved. I say "a couple of episodes" because Love Rain's plot is really..dry. And just not exciting. It lacked originality and it was predictable as well.

It was also reported that Love Rain's ratings were the lowest ever for the history of the Monday and Tuesday drama time slots. Normally, the good shows are on Monday and Tuesdays, but this had the lowest ratings ever. Fashion king had higher viewer ratings, but it was still single digit I think.

 My Overall Rating for Fashion King: 8/10

-Naz

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

{ }