Friday, July 6, 2012 @ 12:59 PM | 0 Comments

For those of you who don't know, TaeTiSeo is a subunit of SNSD which is comprised of Taeyeon, Tiffany and Seohyun. The name could defnitely have been a little bit more meaningful and slightly more creative considering they're part of one out of the 3 top entertainment companies, so I would imagine that more thought and effort could have been put into the name of the subunit. I did however found out later on that they are doing a rotation system, whereby different members will be put into the subunit at one point or another, so I guess in other words, it's much easier to have that kind of subunit name, so people are aware of who is in which subunit.

Their first mini album titled "Twinkle" was released at the end of April and has recieved a lot of attention, especially their hit song "Twinkle". Promotions have ended a while back, but I decided to do a review on it anyway because personally, I'm totally in love with pretty much all their songs. TaeTiSeo was also reported to be the first unit to win four triple crowns straight, owning all rookies and veterans alike. That's pretty impressive if you ask me.

Many people still do talk about how their fame is just derived from their beauty, and once upon a time, I did think so as well. But upon hearing their latest tracks and singles, I was slowly convinced that they were in fact, pretty good singers themselves (I would have another debate on the other member's capabilities). So without further ado, here is my take on the 7 songs in their album.

1. Twinkle
Twinkle, in my opinion resembles a little of "Lady Marmalade" but it also has a different take on it's musical instruments. The three vocals are harmonised very well throughout the song and has a catchy beat. Tiffany, being in charge of lower vocals, presents her lines pretty well, however there are some parts that sound a tiny bit forced. She definitely will be able to pull off a lower version of this much better. For the maknae, I have to say, I definitely did not think she had the vocal range or capabilities to sing like she does in this song. Her vocals are amazing, and she can adapt well according to different pitches as well as rhythm. There is also though, a point in the song where I find that she strains her voice too much to the point where it doesn't sound all that good. She could definitely be the next Taeyeon if she continues practicing. Taeyeon, Taeyeon, Taeyeon. I don't really have much to say about her, she executes all the notes perfectly, and when you think she's about to crack, she holds it on even longer, and proves to you that she could do it even better.

2. Baby Steps
Baby Steps is a song that I think should go under the R&B category. It's definitely one of my favourite songs to date, and I can play it on replay without getting sick of it. It's slightly slower tempo enhances the trio's vocals even more. In addition to that, the execution of longer notes in this track was..perfect. I'm really not trying to be bias, but it really is a great song. Even people I know who aren't Sones, admit that they're in love with this song. So take a listen!

3.OMG
OMG is a song that has that broadway feel to it, which sometimes can make you feeling all diva and girly and..yeah. Well, maybe it's just me...*averts eyes to opposite direction* I like the use of the different instruments that are not usually used in kpop styled songs. Trumpets, big orchestral drums I don't know the name of, cymbals, and many more I can't recognise (woop, IGCSE music down the drain) So if you're in to broadway styled music, I can guarantee you'd love this.

4. Library
Ok, I'm going to be honest, I don't like this song. It's annoying, slightly repetitive in some areas where it shouldn't be, and just..not appealing at all. The "oh-oh-oooohhhh" as backing sounds annoy me greatly which is why I'm not a complete fan of this song. Have a listen to it anyway, people have different tastes in music.

5. Goodbye, Hello
I reckon this song goes into my "ok, I don't mind listening to it, but it's not getting onto my replay list" This song however does showcase the girl's excellent vibrato (as does all the other songs, but wtv) It might be slightly too boring for me, and doesn't have that catch to the song. And it's slightly too happy for me. lol.

6. Love Sick
This slow tempo R&B track is nice to listen to when you just want to relax, and have some time to yourself. It has got a nice tempo that could possibly put you to sleep. lol. Compared to all the other songs, I think Love Sick has the best bridge. To me, it has just the right amount of crescendo, and diminuendos. I can see people dancing jazz? to this song. Yep, I think it's jazz, haha I don't know my different genres of dance, sorry!

7. Checkmate
This song goes into my "meh" category, which is a level down from my "ok, I don't mind listening to it, but it's not getting onto my replay list". I'm not that big of a fan for the pitch, and it's auto tune type of sound rhythm. It's somewhat mysterious in some parts, which is quite exciting, it also competes with Love Sick for the "best bridge" title, and come to think of it, this might win because of the epic drumming. Other than that, there really isn't much else to this song.

I know I've said before that I'm a Sone, but that doesn't mean I don't criticise their songs as well. I criticise many aspects of kpop that I'm unhappy about, but there is almost always a good thing about kpop that balances the whole thing out. I've put up only audio videos of the tracks because I wanted people to listen to the music first before judging their stage performances.

And for those who are interested in seeing my favourite live performances, here they are:

Baby Steps
Love Sick (this includes their short cover of Pixie Lott's Mama Do as well as twinkle)
Twinkle

Those are the only live performances I can find, which they've performed unfortunately :( But I hope I've gotten some of you to like some of the songs in their album by reading this post!

-Naz


Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

{ }