Sunday, August 26, 2012 @ 10:32 PM | 0 Comments

A lot of people that are into K-pop, would have heard of Im Yoona, or better known as the "face" of SNSD. For the people who aren't with K-pop, here's the breakdown. Many entertainment companies often assign roles to each member of the group. A few compulsory ones would include: main vocalist/dancer and lead vocalist/dancer. Another very famous one would be "the face" in which that particular member pretty much represents the group's image. Yoona is known for her doe eyed, long neck appearance, and many guys choose her as their ideal type. Of course, along with all this love she's getting, her "anti-fan" list could should be equally as long. I myself, went through a phase where I was very anti her. Why? Because she was always the centre. She was always the one with the most airtime, the one with the most offers for CFs, the one with endless photoshoots. I always thought she had no talent; her singing was average, her dancing was satisfactory. So with a mindset that all idol groups should in fact have members with some special talent, I found none when it came to Yoona. I then started to become annoyed whenever Yoona was mentioned, whenever she was featured in some variety show. That girl can't sing or dance. She's completely useless.

 

Last night, I finally realised that she does, in fact have a talent. A talent that not many could pull off. A talent that requires you to be self composed at all times, a talent that requires nothing less than perfect on stage. One little mistake she makes, will affect the group's name. Do you know how much of a burden that is? I never realised until recently how much depth it contains. The weight on your shoulders, is as heavy as the reputation of 8 other girls. Why? Because you're the face, and everyone sees the face more than the rest of the group. Everyone expects you to be the perfect one. Why? Because you were chosen as the face.

 

Rather than having hate for "the face" I actually feel a little sympathy and more often pity. This is mainly because it is the Director/CEO/manager's choice of who "the face" would be. Did she, or any of the other "faces" choose to be it? I doubt so. Did they self volunteer? Maybe some did, but I doubt that all of them did. I feel pity for them because believe it or not, I think the "face" has one of the most important and most burdensome role ever. Singing? Dancing? Those things can be improved on. Those things could still be applauded when you've improved. The "face"? First impression means a lot. Future appearances are always important. Can you applaud them for improving? No. Absolutely not. Especially when we're living in a hypocritical society that demands so much from us. What, you want to get plastic surgery to "improve" yourself? BAM. haters fill in. Plastic surgery is so artificial, it's so fake, not real beauty. The list can go on, endless.

My point for this post, would be that I've finally come to realise the importance of the "face" and slowly, I have come to appreciate the role. This does not only apply to SNSD, but other groups as well, such as EXO, KARA, T-ara, and so many more. I hope people who have read this post will start to appreciate them a little bit more than before, because I certainly do now.

Some known "faces" of idol groups:

I don't think f(x) has an official face, but I reckon it's got to be krystal since she's always in the middle, and getting all cameras on her. All the time. Even when she's not even singing. No hate. no hate.


Here's T-ara's Jiyeon. Always love her eye make up.

EXO-K's Kai. I can see why he's chosen. lol

EXO-M's Luhan. I swear he looks like a kid.

There are really obvious ones from Rookie groups especially since they're all up and going with advertising. But I think no one can beat SM when it comes to advertising. hahah I don't know the names of the rookie groups, so this is it for now!

-Naz

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

{ }